Home » NetFx3 » Installing NetFx3 on Windows Server 2012

Installing NetFx3 on Windows Server 2012

If you value or enjoy this blog please feel free to donate. I receive no compensation for it and do not sell my endorsements.

Archives

Join 2,402 other followers

image

Okay… I am installing SQL Server 2012 on a Windows Server 2012 box, there shouldn’t be any problems.  Everything is proceeding normally until I get this message:

Error while enabling Windows feature : NetFx3, Error Code : –2146498298 , Please try enabling Windows Feature : NetFx3 from Windows management tools and then run setup again.

No problem… I know how to install Windows Features; I start the Add roles and Features Wizard and go looking for NetFx3… it’s not there.

Problem.

It turns out that Windows Server 2012 does not include NetFx3 when it is installing.  It doesn’t mean that it is gone, but it does have to be installed separately.  Here’s what you do:

1) Insert your Windows Server 2012 media.  As I was installing SQL Server in a Hyper-V VM I ejected the SQL media and attached my Windows Server 2012 ISO.  I then checked to see what drive letter it was (D:).

2) I opened a Command Prompt with administrative credentials.  From the Start Screen I typed CMD but instead of clicking on it or pressing ENTER I right-clicked, and at the bottom clicked on Run As Administrator.

3) From the Command Prompt I typed the following command:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:d:\sources\sxs

image

The Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool is one of the easiest ways to install features in Windows when the GUI fails you.

Note: Unfortunately, if you encounter this error you will have to restart your installation of SQL Server.  That doesn’t mean you should cancel it out at this point… what I did was I left the error message on the screen while I resolved the NetFx3 issue, and then let it resume.  The SQL Server installation succeeded, with several failures.  I then went back and re-installed SQL on top of the old, with the features that I needed.  It worked just fine for me, and it should for you.

About these ads

53 Comments

1. SQL Server 2012 Installing on Windows Server 2012, Error while enabling Windows feature : NetFx3, Error Code : –2146498298…

1.安裝過程發生Error while enabling Windows Feature NetFx3, Error Code : –2146498298 的警告。 Error while…

2. Stephen Wyndham says:

Nice work

3. Carlos says:

Thank you.

4. rahulbabarit says:

Thanks for sharing the article.
    For me I did not get the above error but the setup was stuck for longer at stage Enabling OS Feature NetFx3. I guess I had to wait more to get the above error. I ran this command while the setup was stuck. The command went well and the setup was able to proceed further.

Thanks,
    Rahul Babar

5. Kris says:

Thanks a lot! Exactly what I needed!

6. Alan Ceey says:

Thanks Mitch ur solution really worked for me

7. Dave says:

got a message that the source files could not be downloaded with error code 0x800f0906 after 66.3% completed. Anyone experience this and get a resolution?

• Schalk says:

Did you manage to get it going. Have the same error

• Mitch Garvis says:

Yes… follow the instructions in my article :)

• Josh says:

Thanks, Tried your suggestion – but no joy here. I have the cd mounted in drive E, tried it there, and also copied the /sources/sxs folder to D:\ (D:\sources\sxs\).
        Any Idea what I’m doing wrong here?

————————–
        C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess (also tried without limitaccess)

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
        Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Enabling feature(s)
        [===========================66.6%====== ]

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
        Use the “source” option to specify the location of the files that are required t
        o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

• Josh says:

—>Solution:
        To fix it, what I ended up doing was sharing out the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder from another 2012 box on the same network. Then mapped that share in the local server.
        Then pointed the server giving me these errors to that share, and wallah!
        For some reason it would not accept the source as local files on the server. Even mouonting the iso on a virtual drive it wouldn’t accept them.

I’m guessing the local binaries on that server were corrupt or something.

• Mitch Garvis says:

Hi Josh,
        That is great news! I was going to offer a few suggestions, but thank you for sharing the solution. -M

• Andries says:

I had the same issue, at the end of the day we realised we had the wrong ISO version mounted.
        We have Server 2012 Standard and the mounted ISO version was Server 2012 Standard R2.

After mounting the correct ISO all was good!

8. Russ says:

Spot on!

9. How to install SQL Server 2012 for the first time

This page will record the various trials and tribulations to getting SQL Server 2012 to work in Hosting for the first time. SQL Installation fails with “error while enabling windows feature: netfx3″ See here:

10. Dan says:

Simply installing the Application Server Role and choosing to include .NET 3.5 will resolve this issue as well.

11. Dario says:

Thanks, saved me bunch of time.

12. B- Mack says:

I got same error as per above while installing SQL Server 2012. I tried numerous times executing the command and to no avail. I then connected the server to the internet and the error was gone. Still cant figure out what the internet connection resolved as the installation never showed its downloading anything !!!

13. thank you very much for that… exactly the same problem for me !

14. […] : NetFx3, Erreur Code : –2146498298 “. Je l’ai résolue grâce à un billet de Mitch Garvis (il faut remonter l’iso Windows Server 2012 et lancer l’installation en ligne de […]

15. Terry says:

Superb – thankyou very much

16. Yik says:

You rock dude! Saved my bacon.

17. Vizaint says:

The same problem the same solution,
    ThankYou

18. TP 01 Installation de SQL 2012 sur Windows 2012 R2 Preview

TP 01 Installation de SQL 2012 sur Windows 2012 R2 Preview

19. Luiz Fernando says:

It Works!! Thank’s!

20. Christopher C says:

Thanks, worked great. I used software called Pismo to just mount the .iso file for Windows Server. No CD needed and you don’t have to unmount or take out your SQL CD.

21. Killian Kane says:

Why didn’t you just right-click & mount haha?!?
    ISO mounting is built into NT 6.2

22. Many thanks… worked perfectly for me! Being that I’m a sys admin who has fallen into an occasional DBA role, I’m glad to see it wasn’t as convoluted as I had originally feared.

23. dejan says:

Actual, you just need to check if ***Windows Update service is running****. If stopped, then NetFx3 will not be enable.

24. Michael says:

Hi there,

my .NET 3.5 install is just stuck here:
    —-
    C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN> dism.exe /online /enable-feature /all /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Tool zur Imageverwaltung für die Bereitstellung
    Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Abbildversion: 6.3.9600.16384

—-
    It just doesn’t get any further for about two hours now.

Any Ideas what is wrong?

• Mitch Garvis says:

Hi Michael,

I wish I could help… unfortunately I don’t speak German. Good luck though. -M

• Michael says:

Hi Mitch,

that is the output from the dism tool like in your last screenshot. But it is stopping with the
        “Image Version: 6.3.9600.16384″
        And not starting to enable the features. I’m stuck there.

Currently I am rebooting after 2 Windows Updates Installations. But I don’t think that this was the solution. So I would appreciate any help.

Best Regards,
        Michael

• Mitch Garvis says:

Hi Michael,
        I wish I had the time to help… I think your best bet would be posting to the TechNet Forums. Good luck! -MDG

• Michael says:

Hi Mitch,
        after installing the Windows Updates on this server the feature installation worked via the GUI. I hope this information helps other users browsing your site.
        Regards

25. […] Courtsey-http://garvis.ca/2013/01/04/installing-netfx3-on-windows-server-2012/ […]

26. […] the command line geeks amongst us, read the following blog post on how to enable .NET 3.5 using […]

27. ced says:

Many thanks, you save my life !

28. stew2407 says:

worked like a charm, THANKS!

29. Kevin says:

thanks for the help!!!

30. Marian says:

Thanks for the solution and additional comments!

To avoid dism.exe errors I had to use instead:
    Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source D:\sources\sxs

31. It worked! Thank you Mitch!

32. thomasrushton says:

Thanks for the post – just going through the rest of the fix now.

33. […] quick search led me to “The World According to Mitch”, which has a useful post “Installing NetFx3 on Windows Server 2012″ that shows this very error (complete with screenshot, if you really need to see […]